The X-men's Storm Is Getting Her Own Series?!

storm art 4

Yes you did read that correctly. Thanks to Marvel’s July Solicits we now know that everyone’s favorite weather witch/master thief/leader/Queen and all around badass will be the star of her own series set to debut in May. The creative team is composed of Victor Ibanez on art and Greg Pak as the writer.

Will this be a miniseries or an ongoing? We don’t know yet. The only thing we know for sure is the title of the book and the creative team attached. Greg Pak is most well know for his critically acclaimed run of Incredible Hercules. He has also written War Machine, Herc, Incredible Hulks, the divine Phoenix Endsong and valiant’s Eternal Warrior. Victor Ibanez  meanwhile has been the main artist on New 52’s Wonder Woman.

This series has allot to live up to for me to recommend it at all:

1) Good stories

2) Good art

3) It must acknowledge her time as Queen of Wakanda, Leader of the Morlocks, Thief, Goddess in Africa and leader of the X-men

4) It must deal with her lineage and acknowledge she is no longer an orphan, her kenyan and american families must be used or mentioned in some form. This is a missed and wasted opportunity since they were introduced in the early 2000’s. Read all about her family here; Ashake (ancestor, deceased), Mr. Munroe (paternal grandfather), Harriet Munroe (paternal grandmother), unidentified Kenyan maternal grandmotherDavid Munroe (father, deceased),N’dare Munroe (mother, deceased), Vivian Munroe (Aunt, deceased),Colonel Shetani (maternal uncle), David Evan Munroe Jr. (nephew)

Alternate reality offspringPanther/T’chaka , Azari,  Twari,T’chaka, unnamed son (Sons), Becka Munroe Sh’riTorrentSky PantherMedeaKymera, Unnamed twins (daughters)

5) It must treat her and have her treated with the respect she deserves.

UPDATE: April 27, 2014

Now thanks to Comicbookmovie we have official art and story details from USA today:

“We’re going to see Storm cutting loose with all the brass and fierceness that comes from having the power to control every aspect of the Earth’s weather and atmosphere. And we’re going to delve deep into the experiences and perspective that lead her to make decisions no other X-Man would — to tear through walls that no one else may have even realized are there.” He adds, “She’s a mutant icon — but also a hero to oppressed people everywhere,” says Pak, promising to explore her morality from all angles, “especially in the ways it might clash with the objectives of her fellow X-Men.”

Are you excited about this new story Series?

Will you be picking it up when it hits stands?

What do you think?

Sound off Below!

[Source: Previewsworld, Comicbookmovie and Newsarama]

Caribbean born college lecturer, Multidisciplinary specialist/Androgogue/Philosophical Pedagogue; founder/CEO of World of Black Heroes, freelance writer and all around comic book geek. I enjoy a good book, video games, movies and most of all fatherhood. Written credits include work for Islandstage.net, Comicvine, Independent comics etc.

28 thoughts on “The X-men's Storm Is Getting Her Own Series?!

• April 27, 2014 at 2:32 am

The main weakness with a Storm ongoing has to do with your last point- being respectful is great, but it can get a tad stuffy and boring. In a good solo a main character is going to fall short and get egg on their face.

• April 27, 2014 at 3:17 am

Good point DD! Black Panther is always treated respectfully….but often does get quite boring. Perhaps something comparable to DC’s treatment of Wonder Woman would be more desirable.

• April 27, 2014 at 6:42 am

Sounds about right, good thinking. Wonder Woman is probably the closest thing to a Storm analog.

Though after thinking a bit I’d replace “respect” with “reverential”. Gets what I really mean across better. There are so many examples that it would really take me a while, but you can generally tell when a writer is trying to convince you that a character’s fart’s don’t stink.

• April 27, 2014 at 4:20 am

About time.
    I agree entirely with your Five points .
    I just hope they do justice to the character .
    Being respectful to the character does not limit her story potential .
    A good writer who understands and appreciates the character can tell plenty of interesting engaging entertaining satisfying and thoughtful stories with out humiliating or degrading or cheapening the character provided he or she has the skill and talent and motivation.
    If the Black Panther ( or any other character )is boring then the writer is simply not up to the job.
    I will wait and see and hope for the best
    And steel my self for the worst.

• April 29, 2014 at 6:15 am

True .
        I must add that I expect with this project Marvel will ultimately break my heart again

• April 29, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Sadly Jim a part of good storytelling demands our lad fall in love and go through the occasional emotional upheaval.

• April 30, 2014 at 4:35 am

I understand that .
          And I agree with the concept
          But Marvel stories put our fave characters in unhappy darkness and keep them there.

• April 27, 2014 at 6:54 am

I’m open! With what Marvel did with Superior Spider-Man, they showed me that they can totally (& successfully) reinvent a legacy. I’m hoping that this will at least be on par with Ultimate Spider-Man or Mighty Avengers.

• April 28, 2014 at 12:49 am

About friggin time, she’s got a good writing staff, so should be nice.

• April 29, 2014 at 12:39 am

Let’s cross our finger and toes it’s good Adam…and it sells!

• April 28, 2014 at 2:59 am

I will most definitely be reading as soon as it hits stands

• April 29, 2014 at 6:17 am

I will be watching and waiting for your review.

• April 28, 2014 at 7:55 am

Not certain if it’s going to be a miniseries or an ongoing titile(hey it works for Wolverine and more recently Nightcrawler), but it’s worth a try! Will she and T’Challa kiss and make up?

• April 29, 2014 at 12:38 am

I would not hold my breath for Storm and T’challa to kiss and make up 😛

It has been confirmed as an ongoing not a mini.

• April 29, 2014 at 6:19 am

I still hope for reconciliation.

• April 29, 2014 at 6:48 am

There’s yet hope for T’Challa & Ororo. If you remember from Battle of the Atom, her daughter (of them both) decideded to stay here in the past…

The writers of the X-Books aren’t yet featuring her, but they do write about their relationship. Fingers crossed.

• April 29, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Boogie all we have is speculation as to who Kymera’s father is. For all we know her dad could be Wolverine!

Until on panel her paternity is determined everything else is speculation.

• April 30, 2014 at 4:37 am

True
            .But I am hopeful.

• April 30, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Can’t argue with you their JJ! 🙂

• May 1, 2014 at 6:54 am

I just fear that Marvel will mess us over again.

• April 29, 2014 at 5:47 am

Commenting on the new chunk of information
    I really like the Idea of the character being portrayed and behaving as a ” hero to oppressed people everywhere ”
    I hope she will be depicted as a character only wants to help when ever she ever she can and always is motivated to do the right thing.
    I hope the writers are up to the task.
    As an aside ,where I work I have noted a slow but steady decline in the sales of all the X titles . I hope this new title will turn things around.
    I hope the character will experience some joy in her life and be a
    part of the grey grim unhappiness that permeates the Marvel Universe
    I will be reading all of your reviews
    And I really do hope that T’Challa and Ororo hook up again.

• Pingback: New Details on Storm’s Ongoing Series! | WorldofBlackHeroes

• May 3, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Its about time Storm has her own series !! I’ve always thought she had the best power’s out of all the x-men and that it was seriously downplayed for characters like ( cut-em-up) wolverine. Would you be more scared of a guy with a blade or a women who can bring tornado’s/hurricanes/tidal-waves and other natural disaster on your head? I’d say the latter freaks me out a lot more than a quick slice and dice.

• Pingback: This June Storm Returns to Africa! | WorldofBlackHeroes