Have you taken a good look at the comic book shelves lately? More and more you are seeing new publishing companies! We are talking about “flagship” companies, but we are talking companies started up by individuals who are creating their own quality comics and publishing themselves. This is not new nor is it industry specific. Rappers like Too Short and E-40 talk about how they started their careers selling their CD’s out of the trunks of their cars.Their humble beginnings yielded major things for them, and even before they became nationally known, they had a strong following. Having said that; Welcome to the Advent Universe! The Advent Universe is one of many Independent publishers that have established their presence in the comic world, and have done so without the help of big publishing houses or other comic companies. They literally started “out of the trunk of their car” and have blown up all on their own. We caught up with Tony Kittrell of Advent Comics and got some great responses for our questions!
- How did you get started in the comic industry? Back in 2009, My wife and I had went to San Diego to celebrate our anniversary and to attend our first Comic-Con. We met actor/singer Tyrese Gibson who was there to promote his comic book for Image and he talked up the benefits of having his own book. I also talked with several brothers (one was Korby Marks of Stormbringers fame) who shared with me about both the joys and pitfalls of self-publishing. That same day, I had attended the Black Panel and it was there I decided to take the self-publishing plunge.
- Who were your early influences?
As a kid, I loved the stories of Steve Englehart, Roy Thomas, Chris Claremont, Paul Levitz and Jim Shooter
- What project are you currently working on?
I am currently finishing the COSMOS Maxi-Series which is 12 issues of a HUGE cosmic tale that unites the Advent Universe’s cosmic characters and some major guest stars. I am also finishing the STREETZ Mini-Series and TITAN THE ULTRA MAN #3.
- What books did you collect or read growing up?
I used to read Marvel’s Avengers, Spider Man, Master of Kung Fu, Nova & X-Men and also DC’s Justice League of America, Legion of Super Heroes, Secret Society of Super Villains and Freedom Fighters among others.
- If you could rewrite any character which one would it be and why?
I would have to say that character would be DC’s Bloodwynd because there is so much potential in that character.
- Given the success of books like Watson and Holmes and Midnight Tiger, what other books do you see having mainstream appeal?
There are so many books being produced by extremely talented people of color that it is not even funny. The problem is getting people to break from the norm of the Big Two in order to try them. Advent Comics’ very own Titan the Ultra Man (tells the story of an everyman who is striving to be a better man and a hero), Darklight & Crew (a sci-fi story about freedom and retribution) and God Cell: Gate of the Gods (which features four creators/companies who have come together to produce a great story that covers multiple genres) fit the bill quite nicely.
- If there were anything you would say to someone looking to get into the comic industry; especially a person of color; what would it be?
If this is your dream and you are truly passionate about seeing it through, dive in! It can indeed be accomplished but it will take a lot of really hard work.
- Is there anyone in particular you would like to work with on a book? There are many people that I would like to work with but probably top of the list would be Ken Lashley. I met Ken at The Black Panel in 2009 and pitched to him my ideas for what would become the Titan the Ultra Man character. He surprisingly agreed and then sketched out the first ever drawing of Titan. Unfortunately, we just could not come together but I would jump at the chance to finally make it happen.
- Name three independent books that you would like to see as movies.
I think that Don McGregor’s Sabre, Frank Miller’s Give Me Liberty or Sam Jackson’s Cold Space.
Learn more about Tony Kittrell below!
Thanks for you participation and support of our website!
No problem, I love what you guys do here at World of Black Heroes! Keep a lookout for us at www.adventcomics.com, on Facebook and Twitter. Advent Comics – Putting the SOUL back into comics!!