SDCC 2015: The Return of Milestone Media llc.

milestone
Reginald Huldin, Denys Cowan, Jim Lee and Geoff Johns team up to bring new life to Milestone comics with a line up of Culturally and Ethnically diverse Characters.

During DC Entertainment’s (DCE) early morning press gathering, DCE Co-Publisher Jim Lee, producer/director Reginald Hudlin and Milestone Media co-founder/artist Denys Cowan (DETECTIVE COMICS) announced the creation of “Earth-M,” which will be home to the “Dakota” universe of characters from 1993’s Milestone Media and a host of all new characters.

“We couldn’t be more proud and excited about the opportunity to bring the ‘Dakota’ universe back to DC,” said Lee. “This is a huge step forward for us in bringing readers a more diversified lineup as part of the New DC Universe, and we’re anxiously looking forward to telling new stories that are socially and culturally impactful and representative of the world in which we live.”

Arriving as hardcover graphic novels, up to two “Earth-M” titles will be published annually, as well as a yet-to-be-determined number of miniseries and one shots. These books will feature all-star creative talent, including Milestone principals Hudlin and Cowan, as well as DCE top guns Lee and Johns. This agreement also means a revival of Milestone content as collected editions, both in print and digital format.staticshock tv logo

“Milestone Media was the first company to create a superhero universe full of Black, Latino, Asian, and white superheroes – both gay and straight,” said Hudlin. “Its fan-base was equally diverse. This new relationship will enable us to not only revive classic Milestone characters, but introduce new ones as well. Denys and I have had a great time working with Jim and Geoff as we reinvent the Dakota Universe for the 21st century. We have a lot of innovative ideas – from how the characters are presented to how the books are released – that will excite both new and old fans.”

Original graphic novels, one shots and miniseries are just the first step in an overall Milestone revival, eventually expanding to include action figures and an upcoming STATIC SHOCK digital series.

“Milestone Media has a long tradition of bringing multicultural heroes to life and DC Entertainment has always been an industry leader with their innovative approaches,” said Cowan. “Working with Geoff and Jim has been great and Reggie, Derek [Dingle] and I are thrilled to team up with them to bring the Dakota universe of characters back to the fans.”

What does this mean for fans of Milestone? Icon, Rocket, Static Shock, Blood Syndicate and so much more! If Hudlin and Cowan can give me an Icon and Rocket series, a Blood Syndicate series and a hardware series they can take all my god damned money!

What do you think?

Are you excited about Earth-M?

What Milestone series do you want relaunched?

Sound off below

[Source: Comicvine]

0 thoughts on “SDCC 2015: The Return of Milestone Media llc.

• July 12, 2015 at 3:02 am

ICON, Static, and Hardware, Please Bring Them Back! As For New Characters, I Fully Support This Venture. Any Additional Blood IS Bound To Branch This Wonderful Universe. I Am All For It.

• July 12, 2015 at 3:33 am

I really look forward to the revival of the milestone characters, I really want to see static, icon and rocket pushed out there and be as big the mainstream dc characters. Show the modern comics original ideas and fresh faces with solid storytelling ! Because marvel and dc have been doing a lot of ethnic washing and gender swapping instead of creating new characters.

• July 12, 2015 at 3:54 am

Oh Yes
    This sounds too good to be true
    I am behind it One Hundred percent
    I would like all the series to return
    And new ones as well
    Really hope it happens

• July 12, 2015 at 3:55 am

Yes please and HARDWARE too. Why is HARDWARE so overlooked? And am I the only HARDWARE fan in the world?

• July 12, 2015 at 3:16 pm

This is great news! I miss Milestone to this day. I used to share the titles with my elementary students, who had never seen so many super-heroes who looked like them. I’m disappointed that the characters won’t be returning in monthly titles, but a little Milestone is better than none at all. Hopefully, the new titles will sell well enough for DC to expand the line. I am salivating at the thought of seeing new stories with Hardware, Icon, Rocket, Blood Syndicate, Static, and, hopefully, Xombi. I look forward to seeing new characters, too. Happy to see Reginald Hudlin involved. I hope more of the former Milestone writers, artists, and colorists will be involved also. I am pretty much done with DC and Marvel, but I will DEFINITELY support new Milestone titles.

• July 12, 2015 at 3:24 pm

I just referenced Milestone in a previous post! I feel like I have egg on my face! I’m glad they are back! I can’t wait to purchase my first issues.

• July 12, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I NEED A JOBAT MILESTONE I DONT CARE WHAT IT IS

• July 18, 2015 at 5:24 am

I missed this one at comic-con but crazy excited about it. I just hope they keep it hot interesting and beautiful. The way comics are going now I am not sure.

• July 30, 2015 at 3:45 am

Best news in comics since comics! Glad there is a committed team working on this. The new 52 era Static shock was a poor effort. Cant wait to see reprints of the big Milestone four, Icon Hardware Static and Blood syndicate. I’m still collecting back issues to this day. I have some en route to my house now! Keep the origins of those characters intact, and bring in some equally interesting newbies. Full support. Even if Geoff Johns got his hand in it.