Created by: Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie
1st appearance: The Wicked + The Divine #1, December 17, 2014
Nationality: African American
Team Affiliations: The Pantheon
Legal Status: Unknown
Height: 5’6 Weight: 120 lbs
Eye color: Yellow Hair color: Blonde
Skills and abilities: World class performer and fighter.
Powers: Sakhmet is said (often by herself) to be the strongest fighter in the Pantheon:
- Superhuman Agility & Reflexes: Her abilities are very reflective of cats, as she is extremely agile and flexible. She has been shown to leap across rooftops and use her agility to avoid extremely powerful opponents.
- Superhuman Speed: She has been shown to use her speed in conjunction with reflexes within combat, being fast enough to kill Amaterasu without her noticing until too late.
- Fire Generation: Her powers also seem to be tied to fire, as she once emitted flames from her eyes and mouth.
- Retractable Talons: Sakhmet possesses extremely sharp nails, which have since changed from simple claw-like nails to metallic talons that appear to be embedded in her fingers and toes.
- Telekinesis (possibility): In one instance she also used a finger snap to open a window.
- Performance: During her performances she summons large cat-like entities, travelling through the audience. Due to her use of a microphone it also appears her performance involves vocals.
Sakhmet is the Egyptian Goddess of the sun, wrath, war, destruction, plagues, sex, healing, protection and kingship, and is one of the gods of the Recurrence and is symbolized by the head of a lioness. She appeared as part of the 2010s Recurrence.
On 13 January 2010, a pre-godhood Sakhmet went on a school trip to the British Museum. A classmate accused her of crying, which she flatly denied. They both viewed a statue of the Egyptian goddess Sakhmet, and when her classmate observed that she looked sad, she responded that she was made of stone and therefore didn’t feel anything. It is implied that her father was abusive and she had some kind of trauma in her past.
Sakhmet’s incarnation was in 2013 and she was the second god to emerge. She was approached by Ananke at a bus stop after she had seemingly run away from home, and they had a conversation about the differences between dog and cat people. Sakhmet, who was evidently trying to numb herself with alcohol, said she wanted to be like a cat because they “don’t give a fuck”. She was already a heavy drinker by this point. Once she became a god, she started performing in London, including performances at Bethnal Green and the O2 that were attended by Laura. She also engaged in a sexual relationship with Lucifer. At some point, the other members of the Pantheon realised that Sakhmet became violent when sober, and Woden assigned the Valkyrie Eir to watch over her.
Sakhmet’s design is based primarily upon Rihanna and she is bisexual.